Duterte cancels peace talks with Philippine rebels

Reports reaching Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City said that on February 5, troops from the Philippine Army’s 76th Infantry Battalion, 2nd Infantry Divsion encountered at least 20 guerrillas in Sta.
What is worse is President Duterte’s labelling of the said groups as terrorists and his order to arrest the latter’s leaders. Sison was a former teacher of Duterte at the Lyceum University. He also said he’d be happy to “kill more” if necessary. “So, kung anong gustong gawain ninyo sa gobyerno o sa tao, eh gagawain ko rin sa inyo”, he said.Over the weekend, an angry President Rodrigo Duterte rescinded the government’s unilateral cease-fire with the communist rebels represented by the National Democratic Front (NDF), citing as the last straw last week’s killing in Bukidnon of unarmed soldiers by the rebels.”I hope this will be resolved soon so it will not complicate matters”, Zarate said.Lawmakers were divided, with some siding with the President and his decision and blaming the communists, while others urged Duterte not to give up just yet.”We’ll start to look for them and start to arrest them if they were in prison before and released on the condition that they’re needed for talks”, the President said.”Ultimately, it is the people who will suffer from the absence of GRP-NDFP official peace talks”, Palabay said.”So we are better situated”.Andanar said Cabinet members from the left are “very good”. It is estimated that almost 50,000 lives have been lost with the endless fights of the military and the members of the leftist groups.On Sunday, a rebel was killed when his group encountered soldiers from the 76th Infantry Battalion Sunday in Sitio Kalibun Libunan, Barangay Pinagturilan, Sta.All this raises the question: Is the CPP-NPA-NDF serious in achieving peace through negotiations?

NIU International Community Concerned About Effects of Federal Immigration Order
Furthermore, diversity and inclusion are foundational values of our university and necessary for Clemson to fulfill its mission. My leadership team is monitoring the impact of the order.
He said the attacks resulted in the deaths of 2nd Lt. Miguel Victor Alejo and five other soldiers, as well as the abduction of three other soldiers, in northern Mindanao.The presidential palace on Sunday lashed back at the Church for the letter, blaming it for being “apparently out of touch” with the wishes of those who back the changes introduced by Duterte.Duterte said he freed rebel leaders a year ago to foster the peace talks but added that the guerrillas raised excessive demands, including the release of about 400 detainees, that would amount to a general amnesty and upset the military and the police.”There is a misconception here”.”A ceasefire is always a confidence-building measure, not a pre-condition to peace talks”. The same is true with the release of political prisoners….”I’m sorry. I am not about to talk to them again, because I released all of them”.It resumed only in 1995, but was also terminated after the arrest of a ranking communist leader who was later killed by the New People’s Army (NPA).”We were informed just this morning”.He said it was due to “deep-rooted corruption” in the force.”I think that is a violation of the Joint Agreement on Security and Immunity Guarantees, even a violation on the condition to grant bail for these consultants”, he said.Luis Jalandoni, an advisor to the NPA, said the military was also to blame for the ceasefire’s breakdown because it had deployed troops in around 500 villages and openly conducted counter-insurgency and surveillance activities in rebel areas, according to news reports.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*